OHIO Sequin Crop Top (4)


My next project is some more sparkly and sparse game-day attire. I bought the shirt at Goodwill and it was the right colors so I went with it. When I got home, I realized that it was a size xs and I usually wear a medium and occasionally a large.

When I put it on, the first thing that needed to be tended to was the sleeves that were wayyyy too small and kind of made my arms look like cased sausages.



 


I ripped the seams that attach the sleeves to the rest of the shirt so I would be able to work with a clean and even edge.


Next, I folded the edge over and pinned it to make the straps thinner and to make the edges look finished. I sewed the folded edge down and sewed it all the way around. I did it twice around with a small space in between because that’s what the rest of the shirt had and it made it look more finished. It was difficult to keep my stitches straight because the fabric was really stretchy so I couldn’t pull it too hard or the finished product would look too scrunched up.


The next thing my little creation needed was some decoration and pizzazz so I thought I’d make use of that sequined shirt I used for another one of my game day shirts. I cut out single strands of sequins that I could use to spell out Ohio on my shirt.


I realized that both of the O’s would have to look the same so I folded a piece of paper and cut out an O and traced it in pencil on the shirt on either side of the H and the I, after I centered it. To sew on the sequins, I knotted thread at the end and brought the needle up from the bottom of the shirt on one of the lines for the O. I went in and out of the middle of each sequin and tried to put the needle in and come back up on the line I drew with my stencil.


For the H and the I, I didn’t trace a line to stay on so they were a little bit crooked, but that’s okay.

That's it! This was a pretty simple one and I really like how it turned out. stay tuned for more shenanigans!!







Comments