Block O Silver Sequin Shirt (2)









My method to create this was not conventional... like at all... The fabric was really stretchy and I didn't have an iron so I used....hot glue. It worked though so I guess it's good. I was originally just going to use the hot glue to tack it down so I could sew it, but then I realized that the needle might have a problem with the hot glue and get messed up and dull so I didn't. I did end up sewing on the straps because one came off, but the glue held other than that. Please note, I would reccommend getting some fabric glue or an iron to make the hem. The hot glue was not ideal, but it's what I had so it worked.









Okay, so first I took the shirt that I've been taking sequins from for other shirts and I chopped it off just below where I wanted it to lay so I had room to hem it.









Next, I cut the straps in the middle (where the sequin fabric and the normal fabric come together at the top of the shoulder). Then, I drew a line across the back and cut just above where I wanted the top edge of the back of the shirt to be and chopped off the straps where I wanted them.







Then, I hemmed the bottom of the shirt (pictured), across the back.










To make the straps and the bows, I took some fabric from the lining of a jacket I'm working on and cut two 2 by (about) 21-inch strips and 2 by (about) 15-inch strips and folded the two edges into the middle.

I used the long strips for the straps.

To make the bows, I used the short strips. I put the ends together and cut at a slant, then used some hot glue on the ends to keep them from fraying. Then, I folded the strip in half and crossed the ends over, leaving about 1.5-2 inches on the ends and secured it with a small dot of hot glue. Then, I put a dot of hot glue on top of the ribbon, where the two ends crossed, and secured it to the wrong side of the ribbon (pictured).







Then, I put a little dot of hot glue and put the middle of a piece of thread in it and tied it tightly around the middle to make it into a better bow shape.










Next, I folded an extra piece of one of the strips in half, wrapped it around the middle of the bow, and glued both ends to make the bow look more finished.

I made 2 bows like this.









To make the block O, I traced the outline and around the red part of a decal that is in my dorm common room (pictured left) onto a paper towel (because it is see-through), cut it out, and traced that onto cardboard from an empty granola bar box to make a template.

I traced the outlined shape onto fabric and then cut it out. Then, I cut the paper towel to the smaller 'O' shape and used that to trace the smaller 'O' onto the cardboard. Then, I traced the outline of the smaller 'O' on the fabric so I would know to fold the fabric. I used those lines and folded and secured around the edges and inside of the 'O' to make the block O to put on the front of my shirt.




These are the pieces I made, I just had to put them all together...:


 To attach the straps, I folded over the top of thee front straps to make a clean edge, and folded them around the red strap I was attaching. I only glued the folded part of the silver strap to the red strap so it didn't impact much of the rest of the front of the shirt.










Next, I just put on the shirt and marked where I wanted the straps to be in the back and attached them there with a dot of hot glue. Later, I went back and put a few hand stitches in the strap to be sure it wouldn't come off because that would be a disaster...











Lastly, I just put a few hand stitches in to secure the bows on the front of the shirt to hide the seam between the sequin shirt and the strap I put on.









Here is the final game-day look I created. I got a lot of compliments on this one and I really really liked it!


  

Comments